Tuesday, August 5, 2008

To Knit the Annie Payson Shawl

I used Mode Dea Silk 'N Wool blend on #10's. Each square took slightly less than one skein, which contained 154 yards, so the three squares took 3 skeins - around 450 yards, for an 18" X 4.5' shawl.

To find out about Annie Payson Call, to whom this shawl is dedicated, see the previous entry.

I knit the three squares separately then sewed them together. I have a thing about not wanting the crosses to be upside down. If you really hate piecing tho you can just start at the end and knit to the other in one long shawl. I'm sure it will look good that way too.

To begin, cast on 59 stitches. Knit a row, purl a row and you're ready for the pattern. I've just charted it because it's so straight forward. But do one stitch at the beginning and end of each row, knit on the knit side and purl on the purl side.

I did the pattern like this - first repetition: cross, tulip, cross; second repetition: tulip, cross, tulip; third repetition: cross, tulip, cross. That made a square. If you want to continue, just keep staggering them. I guess this would make a nice afghan too if a group wanted to get each person to contribute a square.

Click on the picture to see it larger.

It's fun to block each square as you finish it, to see what it's going to look like. In case you've never blocked lace before, here's a handy guide from Subversive Knitting. I like to pin the lace out on the guest bed, on the vellux blanket because it doesn't soak up any moisture from the damp yarn. Then I put the ceiling fan on and ask the kids not to jump on the bed today. :)

3 comments:

quince said...

I love your work. Thanks for sharing it with us. You have inspired me!

ChelleC said...

Wow that pink shawl you made in blocks is really beautiful

Lisa said...

I really want to make this shawl for my ailing great-aunt but I'm confused about the "knit, yo, knit into same stitch" part. I googled and found no answer. Do I knit into the knit or the yo? Help!